The “not milk” generation: How Gen Z prompted milk’s rebrand
A piece of our history: A look into the Montgomery Farm Women’s Co-operative Market
LIVE: Baseball takes on Richard Montgomery in home opener
Coach Manon achieves 200 wins and state championship in a thrilling wrestling season
Overtime Elite: A new wave of professional basketball
Proposed bill will guarantee top 10% of Maryland students to 12 Maryland universities

March 21, 2024

Meyers and Kenah receive All-Gazette honors for Vikes

After a perfect regular season (20–0) and a trip to the state semi-finals, members of the girls basketball team were honored last Wednesday, as The Gazette named sophomore guard Abby Meyers and head coach Peter Kenah All-Gazette Player of the Year and Coach of Year, respectively.

Junior guards Marie Hatch and Hannah Niles both received honorable mentions.

As the prominent playmaker for the Viking offense, Meyers stood out to the Gazette because of her versatility. She led the Vikes with 16 points per game, and her length was instrumental to the team’s stout defense.

“I have never been around a player that loves the game as much as she does,” Niles said. “Having Abby to play against in practice creates a competitive atmosphere. She pushes us to get better.”

Meyers is delighted to earn such an award, surpassing the objectives that Kenah had set at the beginning of the season.

“This was one of my individual goals for this year, but in the beginning of the year Kenah actually said he wanted me to make second team.” Meyers said. “I surprised us both this season.”

Sophomore guard Abby Meyers drives to basket against head coach Peter Kenah in a practice earlier this season. Both Meyers and Kenah received All-Gazette honors this past Wednesday. Photo courtesy The Gazette.

Kenah is happy to win the award but credits his players for the team’s accomplishments this season.

“You only get an award like this if you have great players,” he said.

Conversely, players point to Kenah’s coaching style as a key factor in the team’s success.

“His basketball IQ is out of this world, and his attention to detail was a large reason we made it to states,” Niles said.

Hatch agreed with Niles, emphasizing Kenah’s commitment to coaching.

“Kenah is a phenomenal coach because he puts so much effort into the team and truly cares for us like a family,” she said.

Meyers, Hatch, and Niles will all return for the Vikings next season.