Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1

MCPS delays schools due to cold temperatures

http://youtu.be/GH68fB8Vg_w

For the first time in recent memory, MCPS had a delayed opening this morning because of low temperatures.

The decision to have a two-hour delay came at 5:55 last night, which gave students enough time to plan for the delay in advance. The temperature reached as low as three degrees Friday morning, with wind chills approaching -10 degrees, according to weather.com.

“We examined the conditions of our school buses, buildings, sidewalks, and roads,” MCPS communications specialist Gboyinde Onijala said. “We considered the amount of students who walk to school, and we felt this was the safest way to transport students to and from school.”

Students and teachers were surprised that MCPS chose to have a delay, but many said they were pleased to see that MCPS erred on the side of safety.

“I think that a two-hour delay was an easy call for MCPS to make,” history teacher Kirk Shipley said. “It’s a win-win because it doesn’t make parents mad, and kids get to sleep in.”

In addition to making transportation easier for students, the decision gave MCPS more time to make sure that building services and busing systems were in order, principal assistant Karen Bryant said.

“These types of weather decisions are always based on student safety,” she said. “But the delay also gave MCPS time to make sure that the busing, piping, and heating systems were fine.”

Video by Julian Robinson.