Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1

Boys basketball falls 56-44 to RM on senior night

The boys basketball team couldn’t outlast Richard Montgomery Friday, losing 56-44 on senior night.

The team’s four seniors were honored before the game, as it marked the last regular-season home game of their Whitman careers.

Once the game tipped off, the Rockets got off to quick start, hitting perimeter jump shots and extending their defensive pressure outside the three point line.

The Rockets held a 26-18 halftime lead, before wearing the Vikings down in the second half. The Rockets controlled the pace of the game throughout, outscoring the Vikes in all four quarters.

The Vikings made several attempts to chip away at the Rockets’ lead, but couldn’t get the necessary defensive stops to get over the hump.

“What’s most important for us right now is our defense,” guard Riley Shaver said. “We are still a growing and gelling team who can beat anyone and make a good run.”

Guard Shaq Diboti-Lobe led the Vikings with 16 points, hitting seven of 16 shots.

Shaver and point guard Justin Kay each scored 10 points, and center Anton Casey had six points and 12 rebounds.

The Vikes will look to get back on track when they face the 8-10 Blair Blazers, who they defeated 49-46 earlier this season.

“In our last few games we looking to secure the three seed and really build our team chemistry on the court so that we can kick it into gear come playoff time.”