Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1

Boys basketball defeats WJ 56-47

The boys basketball team capped an undefeated week by beating the Walter Johnson Wildcats 56-47, improving to 10-7 after earning their fourth consecutive victory.

The team was locked in early on, and came out firing. The Viking defense suffocated the Wildcats, helping them out to 14-2 lead after the first quarter.

The Wildcat offense picked up as the game went on, which allowed them to chip away at the Viking lead.

The Vikes went 13-36 from the free-throw line, which allowed the Wildcats to hang around.

Although the Vikes never pulled away, their size inside proved too much for the Wildcats to handle.

“We moved the ball, but we missed way too many free throws,” said forward Shaq Diboti-Lobe, who scored 11 points. “We’re starting to execute at the end of games.”

Center Anton Casey led the charge, scoring 18 points (8-12 shooting) and grabbing 13 rebounds. Center Max Oppenheim also helped the Vikes control the backboards with 11 rebounds.

Riley Shaver had 17 points to go with three assists and three steals, continuing his strong play.

The Vikings have a key set of games this week, as they will look to avenge losses to rivals B-CC (12-5) and Richard Montgomery (16-1).

The Vikings and the Barons are tied for second in the 4a South with divisional records of 5-2, while the Rockets sit atop the division with a 7-0 divisional record.