Boys basketball loses heart-breaker to B-CC 55-50

After holding an 11 point lead going into the fourth quarter, the boys basketball team lost to the rival B-CC Barons 55-50.

Point guard Justin Kay looks to keep the B-CC offense in check during Wednesday night's game. The Vikes will play the Barons again Feb. 10 at B-CC. Photo by Jonah Rosen.
Point guard Justin Kay looks to keep the B-CC offense in check during Wednesday night’s game. The Vikes will play the Barons again Feb. 10 at B-CC. Photo by Jonah Rosen.

The Vikes jumped out to an early lead, dominating the Barons 18-9 in the first quarter. Forward Shaq Diboti-Lobe paced the Vikings with 26 points, 18 of which came in the first half.

Both teams were fairly even in the third quarter, as the Vikings outscored the Barons 15-12, extending their lead to 11.

Once the fourth quarter started, the Barons revved up their defensive pressure, and shots stopped falling for the Vikes.

The Barons closed the game on a 21-5 run, taking their first lead with only minutes left in the game.

“It’s frustrating,” Diboti-Lobe said. “We shouldn’t have had that many turnovers in the fourth quarter, we should have come out ready.”

Viking guards Riley Shaver and Hannes Koglenik added nine and six points respectively.

The Vikes will look to get back to .500 this Friday when they travel to take on the 9-0 Richard Montgomery rockets.

Although the Vikes have lost several close games as of late, they are gaining valuable experience Diboti-Lobe said.

“[Playing in close games] will help us close games and execute down the stretch in the future.”