Girls lacrosse suffers first loss of the season to Sherwood 16–11
Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Boys basketball drops season opener to G-Town Prep 73-46

In a highly anticipated early season match-up, the boys basketball team fell 73-46 to Georgetown Prep in their season home opener.

Riley Shaver drives to the hoop for the Vikings in their loss to Georgetown Prep. Photo by Nick Anderson.

The Gazette ranked the Hoyas (4-1) and Vikings (0-1) eighth and ninth respectively in Montgomery County, but the Vikings had trouble containing the Hoyas’ potent scoring offense.

“We need to be more intense on the defensive end,” guard Shaq Diboti-Lobe said.

The game was tight early on, as the Vikings trailed 21-19 after the first quarter. The game changed in the second quarter, when the Hoyas outscored the Vikings 17-4, dominating the offensive glass.

The Hoyas converted turnovers and offensive rebounds into easy baskets, and the Vikings couldn’t recover.

Diboti-Lobe led the Vikings in scoring and rebounding, posting 20 points (9-19 shooting) and nine rebounds.

Center Max Oppenheim had 12 points and eight rebounds in his varsity debut, and Riley Shaver added nine points and two assists.

The Vikings will look to get into the win column this Tuesday when they take on the 0-1 Rockville Rams at home.