Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1

Football loses to Churchill 41-7 on the road

The football team dropped to 4-5 on the season after losing to Churchill 41-7 this Friday in an injury-riddled game.

Receiver Nolan Hanessian goes up to snag the Vikings' only touchdown of the game. Photo courtesy Chris Hanessian. 
Receiver Nolan Hanessian goes up to snag the Vikings’ only touchdown of the game. Photo courtesy Chris Hanessian.

Starting quarterback Evan Smith left the game early with a concussion.  His next two backups, Gunnar Morton and Alex Hilsenrath, also left the game early with injuries.

“At first we were pretty evenly matched,” tight end Austin DeRamus said. “We had a dominant second drive where we scored and Gunnar really stepped up in place of Jacob Pitsenberger.”

The game was tied at seven after the first quarter, however, the Vikings proceeded to give up a safety and touchdown, trailing 16-7 at halftime.

The momentum moved in favor of the Bulldogs immediately following Smith’s departure. Before leaving the game, Smith was five for seven for 51 yards and a touchdown.

“The loss of Evan really hindered our offense,” Deramus said. “After that we had other guys go down with injuries, and it was tough to stay competitive.”

The game got out of control after the Bulldogs outscored the Vikings 17-0 in the third quarter.

Morton and Hilsenrath, both taking their first snaps of the season as QB, each threw interceptions.

Nolan Hanessian led the team in receiving with 45 yards on three receptions, including a touchdown.

The Vikings will hold their senior night when they face the 7-2 Blair Blazers next Friday at home.