Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1
The best movies to watch to study for your AP history exam
A guide to the May 14th Primary Elections
HVAC system malfunction causes evacuation, disrupts student testing
Girls lacrosse falls to Sherwood 10–9 in county championships
Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally

Boys and girls cross country place first and sixth in counties respectively

The boys cross-country team won the county championship this Saturday morning with four runners placing in the top 24.

The cross country team poses for a photo after the boys and girls placed first and sixth respectively in counties.  Photo by Jean Waye.
The cross country team poses for a photo after the boys and girls placed first and sixth respectively in counties. Photo courtesy Jean Waye.

Senior Evan Woods, who finished second overall with a time of 15:48, was less than a half second from first place. Woods was initially given second, but coach Stephen Hays asked for a video review.  The challenge proved futile and the original call was confirmed.

Amir Khagani (16:08), Alex Roederer (16:35), and Ben Gersch (16:57) finished 4th, 12th, and 24th respectively.

The Vikes were excited by the win, but remain determined to keep working toward a state championship, Gersch said.

“Everyone was happy with the win especially since we got second last year,” he said. “We know that to win the state championship we are going to have to run a lot better.”

The girls finished sixth overall, as Olivia Woods finished 10th (19:32) and Erin O’ Connor finished 15th (19:51).

The Vikes will compete for the regional championship Oct. 30.