Football dominates B-CC 21-3 despite ejections and injuries

In a heated match up between arch rivals, the football team beat the B-CC Barons 21-3 Friday night.

Receiver Nolan Hanessian attempts to make a catch in the fourth quarter against B-CC.  Photo by Chris Hanessian.
Receiver Nolan Hanessian attempts to make a catch in the fourth quarter against B-CC. Photo courtesy Chris Hanessian.

The Vikings failed to capitalize on Baron miscues early on, but still led 6-3 at the half, thanks to running back Jacob Pittsenberger’s rushing touchdown.

Early in the second half, tempers flared for both teams.

Following a poor snap and blocked Baron punt, players began to fight.  Pushing and shoving led to punches being thrown in the middle of the field.  Although both coaching staffs tried to keep their players on the sideline, the benches cleared and many players ran onto the field.

Pittsenberger, quarterback Evan Smith, and center Alec Spear were all ejected because of their roles in the fight.

Once play resumed, sophomore Matt Clayton, who was dressing for his first varsity game after being pulled up from JV, stepped in for Smith at QB.

On his first drive, he scrambled for a touchdown from just inside the Barons’ ten-yard-line and also ran in the two-point conversion to give the Vikings a 14-3 lead.

“When I first came in, my heart was beating so hard, the whole thing felt surreal,” Clayton said. “It all happened so fast I didn’t really know what was going on.”

Late in the fourth quarter, Clayton left the game after being knocked down by a Baron defender.

Jake Kuhn, despite tearing his ACL in Week 1, came in at QB wearing just running shoes.  Intending to take two snaps to throw the ball away and not get hit, Kuhn threw one pass away before connecting with receiver Alex Hilsenrath for a 15-yard score.

Running back Gunnar Morton led the Vikes in rushing with 93 yards, including a 52-yard run off of a reverse.

The 2-1 Vikings will look to build their playoff résumé this Friday when they take on the 2-1 Wootton Patriots at home.