LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Football dominates Blake 28-7 in season opener

Looking to return to the playoffs, the football team used stout defense and big plays on offense to overwhelm Blake 28-7 in their season debut.

football vs blake sept. 5
Senior Nolan Hanessian (17) leaps up to try to make a catch over a Blake defender. Photo by Jonah Rosen.

Junior Alex Hilsenrath had two touchdown receptions from senior Evan Smith, including an 89-yard catch and run early in the first quarter. Junior Jake Kuhn also added a receiving touchdown, and running back Jacob Pittsenberger scored on a short run midway through the second half.

The game was stopped with just over two minutes remaining in the third quarter as senior Matt McClanahan was stretchered off the field. McClanahan gave a thumbs up to the crowd as he left in an ambulance.

“It’s always tough when we lose guys but after he went down we used it to fuel our fire and we pulled together,” junior Zach Salem-Mackall said.

Pittsenberger scored quickly after the injury, all but sealing the win as he extended the Viking lead to 28.

The Viking defense held the Bengals scoreless until late in the fourth quarter, when the Bengals scored on a short rushing touchdown.

The Vikes look to boost their record to 2-0 when they visit the Quince Orchard Cougars next Friday.