LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The TikTokification of music — a destructive trend
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z
Landon School hosts 70th annual Azalea Festival
Track and Field competes at county championships
Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title

Q & A with the SMOB candidates reveals their individual goals

Richard Montgomery sophomore Alan Xie (shown above) and Damascus junior Nick Maggio are running against each other in the current SMOB election. Photo courtesy of Alan Xie.

As Montgomery County approaches the final months of the school year, high school students face the important task of electing next year’s Student Member of the Board.

The Black & White caught up with this year’s SMOB candidates, Richard Montgomery sophomore Alan Xie and Damascus junior Nick Maggio, to give students an intimate look into the platforms of the two candidates.

Black & White: What prompted you to run for SMOB?

Alan Xie: What really motivates me is this desire to lead, to have an impact and to make a difference. Or it might be a hero-complex like with Fantastic Mr. Fox. Which seems more interesting?

B&W: What are the biggest changes you hope to make?

AX: As SMOB, it’d be a priority to work with school SGAs to get open lunch to every high school. On top of that, I’d like to make cell phone and iPod policies consistent. I know that some schools let students have electronic devices at lunch or in the hallways between classes, but others don’t. This isn’t fair and we can’t withhold this privilege from some students while giving it to select others.

B&W: What hobbies do you enjoy?

AX: I’m part of drama. I like movies and TV. I run. I’m starting my own non-profit. I adore music.

B&W: Has it been difficult being a sophomore in an election dominated by juniors?

AX: I don’t think this poses a problem—as an active member in county and state-level student government organizations, I’ve got the experience and knowledge to serve our students. As [past sophomores] have shown, it’s experience and knowledge that ultimately make a candidate—not the age—and it’s these factors that decide the election.

B&W: What message do you have specifically for the students of Whitman?

AX: When students look at my name while they vote, I hope they’ll vote for me because I’ll advocate their policies every step of the way and I have the ability, innovation and experience to do so. On top of that, in Chinese, my middle name is “love” and my last name means “thanks”. Much love and thanks to everyone who’s supported me! All I can say now is: I’m neither slob nor snob—I’m dedicated to be your SMOB. Flying is my favorite superpower.

Nick Maggio: All throughout my life in MCPS, I have been interested not only with the position of SMOB, but also with student advocacy in general. As a school SGA member for five years leading up to my eighth grade year, I felt I should strive for an even greater responsibility to my peers. I applied and became an executive board member for the Montgomery County Junior Council. This was a tremendous experience, one that led me to where I am today. Student advocacy—speaking on the behalf of students—is something I have always valued and is what led me to run for SMOB.

B&W: What background and qualifications do you have?

NM: My experience in student government stretches all way back to elementary school. I have participated on a larger level of SGA, in the county and the state, since seventh grade. Some roles I have held include State Lobbying Coordinator for the county SGA and Educational Liaison to the Maryland State Department of Education. These roles have given me great insight as to how our policymakers make decisions (crucial for tackling SMOB voting rights) and about how a board of education functions.

B&W: What do you think students across the county need the most right now?

NM: It does not matter what school you attend in MCPS, every student needs a way to channel their input and get involved in their education. If elected, I will work to create an environment that promotes students to share their opinions and fight for what they want to see happen in Montgomery County schools. That’s what this is all about—working with you to make our education the very best it can be.

B&W: What hobbies do you enjoy?

NM: Outside of school activities, I enjoy watching TV, specifically “The Office,” traveling to new places, eating Chipotle burritos, sleeping, watching football and listening to music.

NM: The efforts of the Green Team and of Whitman High School as a whole in making Whitman more environmentally-friendly is really great. I know how hard you guys work, and I would love an opportunity to work with your school and incorporate successful aspects of your Green Team with other environmental clubs around the county. Whether it’s through conserving paper with an online course application or energy conservation through the use of hand dryers, my plans, if elected, all take into account the environmental implications of our actions.