Softball falls to Walter Johnson 7–4 in regional finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 in state quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in regional finals
The TikTokification of music — a destructive trend

“Death at a Funeral,” so ridiculous that it’s funny

Photo courtesy of imdb.com.

Despite the ominous title,Death at a Funeral is one of the funniest movies of the year. The dark comedy, which isn’t so much dark as it is hilarious, is an adaptation of the 2007 British movie of the same name. The three-year span between the original and the remake makes it one of the fastest remakes in history.

Though the script is almost identical to that of the British version, the new version brings something to the American silver screen that that the old version does not.  Sporting an all-star cast, the new “Death at a Funeral brings the riotous scenario into the context of African American culture at its funniest.

The story is simple. A man—a beloved father and husband—dies and his family gathers for his funeral. It soon becomes a nightmare.

Throughout the movie, peculiar guests complicate proceedings. For example, the deceased man’s niece (Zoe Saldana) brings her nervous boyfriend to the funeral. Just before they arrive, he accidentally takes acid, which is disguised as Valium. James Marsden gives one of his best performances yet as the boyfriend who, under the influence of powerful drugs, knocks over the casket and walks around on the roof stark naked.

From the cranky grandfather and the tripping boyfriend to the singularly oblivious family friends, these characters not only make the movie charming and funny, but also set the premise for the main plot of the movie.

The central event of the movie is well worth watching: a four-and-half foot tall gay prostitute in a studded leather jacket reveals that he was the deceased man’s lover. He tries to blackmail the man’s sons into giving him money at the risk of releasing explicit photos of their father and himself.

Instead of giving into the blackmail, the brothers (Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence) tie up the man and force feed him the Valium that unbeknownst to them is acid. Without giving away too much more, just know that the movie only gets better from there.

The majority of the humor is so far from being politically correct that you can’t help but laugh all the way through.

The uniquely African American family dynamic is brought out through somewhat stereotypical characters, distinctive slang and numerous “dayyuuums,” and it’s this portrayal  that brings the story to life. Infused with funny cultural quirks, “Death at a Funeral” is a remake well worth the $11.