LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z
Landon School hosts 70th annual Azalea Festival
Track and Field competes at county championships
Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title

New movies worth your time

Photo courtesy of themovieinsider.com.

Bored?  Don’t have any plans for spring break?  Then make your way over to the movie theater for the slew of new movies coming out.

Worth It- “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” (March 19)

Based on the acclaimed series by Jeff Kinney, this comedy follows student Greg Heffley as he attempts to make it through the difficult struggles of middle-school life—whether it’s bullies, the girl he secretly has a crush on or simply trying to fit in.

Why it’s worth it: There’s a reason why the books were so popular, and hopefully with its adorably promising trailer, the movie will live up to the hype.

Not Worth It- “Hot Tub Time Machine” (March 26)

Starring John Cusack and Chevy Chase, the film follows four friends going through a mid-life crisis who, after a night of intense drinking, find themselves transported back to the 80s where they’re given another shot at life.

Why it’s not worth it: It sounds a little too much like “The Hangover” and seems very predictable.

Photo courtesy of imdb.com.

Worth It- “How to Train Your Dragon” (March 26)

With a star-studded cast of Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill and Christopher Mintz-Plasse, the animated action comedy follows Hiccup, a Viking teenager who doesn’t fit in with his tribe of heroic dragon slayers.  His world is turned upside down when he encounters a dragon that challenges him and his fellow Vikings to see the world from an entirely different point of view.

Why it’s worth it: In addition to the already popular cast, the plot offers an exciting escape from the stresses of school, or at least something to enjoy for those impatiently waiting for the next Harry Potter release.

Not Worth It- “The Last Song” (March 31)

Based on Nicholas Sparks’ latest novel, this romantic drama stars Miley Cyrus and Greg Kinnear as estranged daughter and father, who slowly mend their relationship through something they both have in common—love for music.

Why it’s not worth it: None of the movies based on Sparks’ novels could live up to “The Notebook” (just look at “Dear John”), and the trailer looks just as cheesy as Miley’s past Disney films.

Worth It- “The Runaways” (April 9)

Photo courtesy of imdb.com.

One of the most awaited films of the year, the film stars “Twilight’s” Kristen Stewart and the all-grown-up Dakota Fanning as members of the first ever all-girl rock band, who are still a big inspiration today.

Why it’s worth it: The fact that the band’s legendary guitarist Joan Jett herself was present to supervise at the sets says something, and it would be hard to ignore a movie based on some of the greatest rock and roll heroes of all time.