LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z
Landon School hosts 70th annual Azalea Festival
Track and Field competes at county championships
Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title

Paula Deen charms DC at cooking expo

Paula and her husband Michael reunite with the Neelys. Photo by Kirstin Baglien.
Paula Deen and her husband Michael reunite with the Neelys. Photo by Kirstin Baglien.

I’ve loved Paula Deen ever since I watched her deep fry cornbread stuffing on her show “Paula’s Best Dishes.”  It’s safe to say we clicked immediately.

For my birthday, I went to see Paula demonstrate live at the Metropolitan Cooking and Entertaining Show with one of my friends, who is equally obsessed with Food Network.

After fighting through the hoards of hungry people grabbing at free samples, we made our way to the theater and eavesdropped on people behind us talking intensely about their obsession with Paula.

Before we caught a glimpse of Paula, however, Top Chef finalist Richard Blais jumped on stage.  As an avid Top Chef fan, I remembered Richard Blais for his love of molecular gastronomy.  More specifically, he liked to play with liquid nitrogen.

True to character, Blaise brought out an enormous liquid nitrogen tank, which he used to freeze popcorn.  For comedic effect, Blais splashed the floor of the audience with nitrogen.

Blais proceeded to throw massive handfuls of frozen popcorn into the audience.  Unfortunately for me, Blais wasn’t strong enough to launch any popcorn any further than the front rows.  I enviously watched people munch on popcorn from the back of the theater.

Finally, Blais thanked the audience and left the stage.  The moment had finally arrived.  Paula Deen walked out on stage.

A group of middle-aged mothers a few rows up screamed “We love you Paula,” and waved signs as Paula circled the stage, telling us that we were beautiful.

Having waited years to see Paula in person, I almost died when she greeted us with her infamous “Hello Ya’ll!”

Being her naturally charming Southern self, Paula began cracking jokes and entertaining us with stories of her childhood.  At one point, she noticed Blais’s nitrogen tank and looked up at us in confusion.

“What is this gas tank?” she asked.  “I’ve already got enough gas!”  Typical Paula.

Then to my excitement, Paula brought not only her husband on stage, but the cutest, most hilarious culinary couple to ever walk the planet:  Pat and Gina Neely.  The two are famous for their barbeque and their relationship, which they display proudly in the Food Network.

After the foursome chatted, Paula decided that it was time to cook and proceeded to make pork tenderloin and lemon cupcakes.  To my disappointment, the cooking only lasted about 15 minutes before Paula gave up and continued telling stories.  More disappointment came when I attempted to secure a sample of Paula’s cooking, but failed for a second time.

Paula took questions from numerous, and somewhat strange, food-fanatic audience members, answering each question with a version of “deep fry it” or “add butter.”

Although I left early to avoid traffic, I exited the theater still laughing and wishing that Paula was my grandmother.