LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The TikTokification of music — a destructive trend
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z
Landon School hosts 70th annual Azalea Festival
Track and Field competes at county championships
Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title

“Amelia” ruins the real life story of Earhart

Photo courtesy of empiremovies.com.
Photo courtesy of empiremovies.com.

Her comeback long overdue, Hilary Swank stars in the Amelia Earhart biopic, “Amelia,” alongside Richard Gere and Ewan McGregor.  Although the film is directed by Mira Nair, whose past films have been very well-received (“Vanity Fair” and “The Namesake,” to name a few), “Amelia” seems to be lacking in density.

The film follows Earhart (Swank) from her early days as a pilot to her infamous last flight. Yet, it mentions nothing about her background and past, why exactly she loves flying, how she decided to break gender barriers and how she became a pilot in the first place.

The majority of the film consists of boring, drawn out scenes of Earhart piloting her plane, backed by mediocre cinematography and cheesy dialogue.  It adds nothing extra, making one wonder how a life that was so memorable, eventful and admirable could be turned into something so dull and just plain boring.

Trying to add color to the otherwise drab storyline, Nair needlessly emphasizes the love triangle between the Earhart, her husband George Putnam (Gere) and aeronautics pioneer Gene Vidal (McGregor).

The only props go to the star-studded cast, all of whom were incredible in their portrayals- Swank as the fearless, charismatic jetsetter, Gere as the supportive husband and McGregor as the charming young lover on the side.  Without these talented stars, there would be absolutely nothing exceptional about the film.

“Amelia” is a standard biopic, and adds no more drama or depth to the amazing real-life story of Earhart to keep the audience glued.  Instead, it does the very opposite, making the audience disinterested from one predictable scene to the next.

Click here to watch the trailer.

For her comeback long overdue, Hilary Swank stars in the Amelia Earhart biopic, “Amelia,” alongside Richard Gere and Ewan McGregor.  Although the film is directed by Mira Nair, whose past films have been very well-received (“Vanity Fair,” “The Namesake,” to name a few), “Amelia” seems to be lacking in density.
The majority of the film consists of boring, drawn out scenes of Earhart piloting her plane, backed by mediocre cinematography and cheesy dialogue.
The film adds nothing extra to make it stand out, making one wonder how a life that was so memorable, eventful and admirable could be turned into something so dull and just plain boring.
“Amelia” is a standard biopic, and adds no more drama or depth to the amazing real-life story of Earhart to keep the audience glued.  Instead, it does the very opposite, making the audience feel disconnected from one predictable scene to the next.