Softball falls to Walter Johnson 7–4 in regional finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 in state quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in regional finals
The TikTokification of music — a destructive trend

Best Buddies celebrate Halloween together

Photo by David Garrison.
The Best Buddies club visited the Homestead Farm for a day full of fun Halloween activities. Photo by David Garrison.

Whitman’s Best Buddies club celebrated Halloween in full throttle this year with an annual dance and pumpkin patch trip. The club, which aims to foster ties between students with disabilities and other students at school, relies on participation in a variety of group events that help members form meaningful bonds. According to the Whitman chapter president, senior David Garrison, both of this year’s Halloween events were highly successful.

On the Saturday before Halloween, students captured the essence of the season at Homestead Farm with hay rides, caramel apples, hot cider and of course, pumpkin picking. The event, a Best Buddies’ favorite, set a new record of attendance this year with a show of 47 Whitman students.

“I was really impressed and happy with the turnout,” says Garrison. “We’re looking forward to keeping that up.”

The atmosphere was one of complete friendliness and comfort, which Garrison had not expected on the first trip of the year.

A week later, on Halloween morning, Walter Johnson held the Halloween dance for buddies in the area. Of the 60 students who attended, about a third were from Whitman. As before, said Garrison, the event went flawlessly.

Whitman helped organize the dance and contributed to its funding through donations from its own fundraising campaigns and SGA money. These types of joint outings are held several times a year, and Whitman hopes to host a few get-togethers of its own soon, says club vice president Kate Mattey.

“The best buddies are up for any excuse to have a party,” says Garrison, excited at the prospect of more events.