Healthy alternatives to holiday overeating

FunXion boasts a modern atmosphere and specializes in healthy dishes. Photo courtesy funxion.com.

As another holiday season of decadent treats and overeating approaches, some diners may look for some healthier local restaurant options. As restaurants with nutritious and delicious foods are few and far between, the Black & White searched for the best places to visit.

FunXion (1309 F St. NW Washington, D.C., 20004): This food joint is a great new place for teens and adults alike. The establishment prides itself on creating tasty low-calorie dishes that incorporate “super” foods with a lot of nutrients and antioxidants. The restaurant also offers blends (somewhat like smoothies, but dairy-free) that mix fruit extracts, coconut water and other add-ins like agave. Though the restaurant doesn’t offer individual calorie counts, their menu shows calorie limits. But the restaurant is costly, so I’d suggest sharing dishes.

Chop’t Creative Salad Company (618 12th St. NW, 20004): Just a short walk from the Verizon Center, Chop’t offers nutritious alternatives to greasy stadium junk food. This specialty salad restaurant offers customizable salads and sandwiches with hundreds of choices. Most salads cost under ten dollars, so it’s a good deal.

Juice Joint Café (1025 Vermont Ave. NW, 20005): This D.C. café specializes in smoothies, juice blends and sandwiches. Smoothies have creative names like “Down Under” — a blend of kiwi, strawberry, banana and apple juice- and “Chocolate Dream” — a mixture of Chocolate Rice Dream (rice milk, a non-lactose alternative) and strawberries and bananas. For those looking for a relatively cheap smoothie fix with a healthy twist, this is the place to go.

Java Green (1020 19th Street NW, 20036): Java Green uses all organic ingredients from local farmers and vegan bakeries. The shop, open week days only, offers a variety of foods from salads and wraps to raw food. The café isn’t too pricey, and the food is colorful, flavorful and healthful.