At Whit’s End: Sorry to tell you…

Photo by Molly Kaplowitz

Females are notoriously catty. I know, it sounds harsh. But it’s a generalization for a reason.

Maybe that explains why we females constantly apologize for everything, from accidentally bumping into someone in the hall to cheating on a test.

But maybe it’s not that girls apologize too much. Maybe, guys apologize too little.

A recent study conducted by psychologists at the University of Waterloo in Canada revealed that men have a tendency to apologize less because they legitimately believe that fewer of their actions warrant atonement. Basically, women apologize more because they think that there are more things to apologize for.

So now comes the big question: will these new findings push men to apologize more?

Probably not. But, it would be an improvement if males can try to communicate more effectively with the opposite sex. Men, if your sister or girlfriend is sending harsh signals, retrace your steps and figure out where you went wrong. What may be a minor detail to you, like leaving the toilet seat up, could seem like a huge offense to them.

The lesson is simple: look at the situation and apologize, even if it doesn’t seem like you did something too bad. Just apologize and get it over with. Even in a situation where you’re absolutely clueless to your wrongdoings, apologizing will get you in the clear.