Students light up the floor at the Best Buddies talent show

Back to Article
Back to Article

Best Buddies talent show participants celebrate with a dance party. The talent show featured 15 acts from groups of three to five performers.

Annabel Redisch

Annabel Redisch

Annabel Redisch

By James Marzolf-Miller

Before the doors to the WAUD auditorium opened May 7, members of Whitman’s Best Buddies placed props on stage and arranged metal folding chairs into rows. At 5:30 p.m, parents, students and teachers started trickling in. By 6, the audience filled the room, waiting for the annual Best Buddies Talent Show to begin.  

The show—an end-of-year celebration for Best Buddies, a club that pairs students with intellectual or developmental disabilities with students without disabilities—consisted of 15 acts. Each act had one “buddy” and three to five student helpers.

“It was high energy, as usual,” Stacey Heller, parent of buddy Lily Heller, said.  “It’s great that everyone can participate.”

Performances varied from dancing to singing to magic tricks and even science experiments. One act even involved students using sign language to perform Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s “Shallow.”  

The talent show is “everyone’s favorite,” Best Buddies president Camerynn Hawke said. “It’s a nice way for the people in our club to showcase their talents.”

During “Single Ladies” by Beyoncé, the audience clapped along to the beat, and for other songs, they waved their phone flashlights with the performers.

“I like doing the Best Buddies talent show,” sophomore Nikhil Niyogi said. “It’s a lot of fun.”

Meera Shroff contributed to this article.

About the Photographer
Annabel Redisch, Photographer
Grade

11

What are some of your interests?

Swimming, photography, and skiing

Why did you join the Black and White?

I joined Black & White as a photographer because I wanted to be a part of the newspaper, but not as a writer. This was also a way for me to continue photography regularly.

What's your favorite vegetable?

Carrot