LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Q&A with Christian Letts of “Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros”

This year, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, the Californian alternative 10 piece band, emerged on the festival circuit. Touring from Bonnaroo to Lollapalooza, the group will end their festival tour at the Virgin Mobile Free Fest on Sept. 25. Guitarist and founding band member Christian Letts discussed touring and performing with the Black & White.

Photo courtesy Julie Ling.

Black & White: You have said that the band is like a family and that it was founded on relationships. Do you think that those two aspects are important for your band to be successful?

Christian Letts: It helps if you really love the people you are surrounded by. Playing with amazing musicians and friends, it allowed me to grow so much as a guitarist. It’s kind of like a sketch becoming a painting; the process of learning and people helping you learn.

B&W: If you could play anywhere, where would it be and why?

CL: The Valley of the Kings in Egypt. My dad talked about it a lot when I was growing up and it was one of my fascinations as a kid. Hopefully one day we can go there and play.

B&W: What has your experience been with Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros versus with other bands you have previously been a part of?

CL: The experience has been so different in every way. Alex [Ebert, the founder and singer] and I have been writing music a long time. We both helped form Ima Robot [a 90’s dance/punk band], and I’ve known him since we were three. We’re not afraid to scrap something if it’s not working. It’s been a great experience, and it should be like that; if you love it and you love what you do, it won’t feel so much like work.

B&W: Is it ever stressful being in a band with ten other members?

CL: It’s great to have ten people who are all very good at what they do. I can’t imagine another way really. If band members can’t make a show for whatever reason, it feels different, you know. This is the first band I’ve been on tour with, so having so many people just feels normal to me.

B&W: Your live shows and albums convey a sense of community and enjoyment. Is that what you want your audiences to experience?

CL: There is no “we are the band and you are the audience.” Love and happiness are very contagious things; we love the music we play and the audience contributes to making it a memorable evening.

B&W: In keeping with this retro vibe, what is your opinion of the widespread age range of your audiences?

CL: It’s amazing to have live shows where there are so many different age groups. An 80 year old woman emailed us and said that she felt very inspired by the music. I like that it’s a family experience.

B&W: Your band really connects with the audiences through the live shows, is that your goal?

CL: I never thought about it as a goal, it just magically happened. We are all here for the same reason. I really like the shows when audience members are on stage with us, that’s really electrifying.