Top 10 sports movies of all time

By Mateo Gutierrez

If you’re a sports fan looking for something to watch on a Saturday night, you’re in luck. Here’s a list of the top ten sports movies of all time that have made audiences across the world laugh, cry and believe. But beware of spoiler alerts!

1. The Karate Kid (1984)

Kicking off our list, “The Karate Kid” is a classic kid vs. bully movie. The infamous film is about teenager Daniel LaRusso and his experience learning karate from the maintenance man in his apartment—the legendary Mr. Miyagi—in order to take down his bullies in a karate tournament. This movie has an inspiring message: encouraging victims of bullying to stand up for themselves. Combining a heartwarming sport’s tale with an inspiring underdog victory, “The Karate Kid” is the perfect mix of comedy and action that’s great for a family movie night.

1. The Blind Side (2009)

Based on a true story, “The Blind Side” portrays the journey and hardships of NFL offensive lineman Michael Oher’s experience in foster care, high school and his new family. After finding him walking in the cold with just an old T-shirt on, Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock) asks Michael if he wants to stay at their house for the night. Not long after their first interaction, Michael becomes part of their family; he then becomes a star football player through the help of new resources, finally reaching his athletic potential.

“The Blind Side” is a tearjerker that shows no matter where you come from, hard work can help you achieve your dreams. While the movie focuses primarily on football, it also includes a prominent family aspect that demonstrates the power of coming together.

1. Cool Runnings (1993)

Feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme, get on up, it’s bobsled time! “Cool Runnings” is a classic comedy/sports movie based on the true story of the underdog Jamaican bobsled team in the 1988 Olympics. This film retells the story of the adversity and struggle the team endured and how they fought through it all to do the impossible and prove everyone wrong. “Cool Runnings” is a must-see sports movie that cracks up the audience and inspires them to never lose hope.

1. Field of Dreams (1989)

“Field of Dreams,” a sports drama with a fantasy twist, centers around a farmer who is mysteriously told, “if you build it, he will come.” After having a gut feeling and being called a lunatic, farmer Ray Kinsella constructs a baseball diamond and the ghosts of past baseball players appear on the field. A strongly recommended family movie whether or not you’re a baseball fan, “Field of Dreams” is one of the best fictional sport movies because of its creativity, amazing visual effects and moving storyline.

1. Remember the Titans (2000)

Based on a true story, “Remember the Titans” is undoubtedly the best and most well known football movie. Denzel Washington gives an amazing performance as coach Herman Boone as his character leads a mixed-race high school team in the 70s to the Virginia State Football Championship. “Remember the Titans” is a heartwarming story that shows how a high school team overcomes racial tension to fight its way to a championship.

1. Moneyball (2011)

Unlike many sports movies, “Moneyball” focuses more on the management aspect of a sport and less on the players. Based on a true story, the baseball film shares the story of former Oakland Athletics general manager Billy Beane’s creation of a revolutionary statistical method for scouting players, called sabermetrics.

The story of Beane’s strategic recruiting, that lead the Athletics to 20 consecutive wins, is fascinating and truly unique. The movie not only inspires with the successes of Bean’s squad of outcasts, but also provides insight into the increasingly data driven world of sports.

1. Rocky (1976)

One of the most iconic sport movies “Rocky” tells the tale of a relatively unknown club boxer who intensely trains and fights for a world championship. Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) has his own statue at the Philadelphia Spectrum while the steps leading to the Philadelphia Museum of Art are known as the “Rocky Steps.” Also known as the “Italian Stallion,” Rocky stole the hearts of many, earning this movie the number four spot on our list.

1. The Sandlot (1993)

“The Sandlot” is commonly referred to as the funniest sports movie in the world. The plot follows a group of friends and the neighborhood new kid through their summer in 1962 filled with baseball, fairs, the pool and a wild adventure. The movie illustrates how sports can bring people together, create lifelong friendships and lead to lasting memories. “The Sandlot” is an all-time classic and family favorite.

1. Miracle (2004)

“Miracle” captures the U.S. Olympic hockey team’s upset victory over the Soviet Union for gold in the 1980 Olympics. Kurt Russell plays college coach Herb Brooks, who tries to manage the young team.

The movie artfully portrays the Cold War political tensions through a sports lens, showing how the heavy political climate manifested the American hockey team. “Miracle” is known as one of the most patriotic sport films in America, retelling one of the more significant sport moments in U..S. history.

1. Hoosiers (1986)

Taking the top spot, “Hoosiers” ranks as the best sport movie to ever be made. The movie tells a classic underdog story of a small town high school basketball team from Indiana and its miraculous journey to the state championship.

“Hoosiers” is widely acclaimed by critics for its amazing comeback story and character development that has the audience rooting for every character. The movie focuses on the coaches’ and players’ struggles, from alcoholism to dealing with negative pasts, and how they find a way to rally back and ultimately win the championship. “Hoosiers” earns the number one spot and sets an example for what a great sports movie is all about: coming back, inspiring others and never giving up.