Girls lacrosse stuns Springbrook 18–2
Boys tennis defeats Walter Johnson 5–2
Baseball falls to BCC 7–3 in the ultimate Battle of Bethesda
Boys volleyball falls to Walter Johnson 3–1

Will Arnesen crowned this year’s Mr. Whitman

13285852_1782498785314915_1102848992_n
Will Arnesen is lifted up by the other contestants after being declared Mr. Whitman. Photo by Jefferson Luo.

As the lights came up in the auditorium, eight senior boys in pink tuxedo shirts tangoed to ABBA’s “Dancing Queen,” leaving it all on the stage as they prepared to fight for one of the most coveted titles in school.

Will Arnesen was crowned this year’s Mr. Whitman May 19. His talent portion of the show set him apart from his competitors, helping him secure the win.

The competition is an annual tradition; every year a new crop of senior boys answer questions and display their talents in hopes of being the next “Mr. Whitman.”

The night also served as a fundraiser; all profits raised by the event go to the charity of the winner’s choice. Arnesen chose to donate the proceeds to the Washington Area Rescue League, a local animal adoption shelter. The shelter has a special place in Arnesen’s heart because it’s where he adopted his dog.

“I have a strong connection to it because I love my dog, and the Washington Area Rescue League does a fantastic job,” Arnesen said.

After MCs Anna Marcus and Ireland Lesley’s opening remarks, the boys competed in the first stage of the competition: formal wear. Each contestant, dressed in a tuxedo or suit, took the stage with a family member and delivered a cheesy pickup line to one of the moderators.

Next, contestants tried to impress judges and the audience in the talent portion, where each contestant would do their best to turn heads with a unique act. Though most boys used comedic talents to draw laughs, Arnesen wowed with a memory challenge, where he would ask the audience to give him a number between one and 150, and then recite the corresponding city from the list of most populated cities in the US.

The three teacher judges, Kelly Garton, Michelle Holloway and Louise Reynolds, scored the quality of the boys’ initial performances and narrowed the eight contestants down to four. The final four boys were then asked a random question, such as what they would do if they won the lottery or what their most embarrassing moment was. Based on the contestants’ responses, the judges made additional cuts.

At the end of the night, finalists Arnesen and Bryan Eng were the last contestants standing, and the only thing standing in between them and being Mr. Whitman was one final question: what they would do if they were crowned Mr. Whitman. Eng said he would bring a pizza party to Whitman, while Arnesen promised to “Make Whitman Great Again,” and “Bring Passion to Power.” The audience was then asked to cast votes based on who they wanted to be the next Mr. Whitman.

After Arnesen was announced the winner, all eight contestants came back onstage to close the night. While there was only one Mr. Whitman, many of the boys enjoyed the experience and the time they shared with the other contestants.

“It’s been a great time,” contestant Stefan Greenberg said. “I love all these guys, they’re all great guys, so spending time with them has been fantastic.”

Arnesen said he feels that the show provided a pleasant finish to his senior year and high school career.

“It’s a nice honor, kind of gratifying,” Arnesen said. “I will never have to dance in front of anyone ever again.”