Track and field competes against Walter Johnson and Winston Churchill
Baseball triumphs over Churchill 4–6
Girls tennis defeats Churchill; boys tennis falls
Boys volleyball falls to Northwest 3–1
Clarksburg High School junior Praneel Suvarna wins 2024-2025 SMOB election
Baseball falls to Walter Johnson 6–0: losing undefeated season

Skipping the dance in favor of other activities

(from left) Freshman Sarah Newsom and senior Hillary Moffatt run at the Great American Cross Country Festival in Cary, North Carolina instead of attending the dance. Photo courtesy of Hillary Moffat.
(from left) Freshman Sarah Newsom and senior Hillary Moffatt run at the Great American Cross Country Festival in Cary, North Carolina instead of attending the dance. Photo courtesy of Hillary Moffatt.

As homecoming gets into full swing, with spirit week, Battle of the Classes and the pep rally, most girls are whipping out their wallets to buy the hottest dresses and accessories of the season, while flustered freshman are working up the courage to ask each other out.

But not everyone’s jumping on the bandwagon this year. Many students have alternative plans, come this Saturday.

Senior Hillary Moffatt, who’s attended the event with friends for the past two years, has alternative plans this homecoming. Moffatt plans to visit two North Carolina colleges, University of North Carolina and Elon, before joining members of the cross country team to compete in the Great American Cross Country Invitational.

Others are taking a more laid back approach, and skipping the primping, preening and partying in favor of other activities.

Junior Sammy Wheaton is choosing to stay home with her mother to enjoy a movie marathon. Among the titles they plan to watch: Titanic, I-Robot and one of my personal favorites, Ten Things I Hate about You.

Junior Lucy Arledge and a group of friends also plan to skip homecoming, after attending it for the past two years. Instead, they have plans to go out to dinner in Bethesda and then either go bowling or hangout at one of their houses.

With everyone having to cut back on budgets, homecoming isn’t the first thing people are clamoring to buy tickets for. Turning to alternative options is a good way to enjoy yourself, without the cost.