Best stores for flip-flop shopping

The Teva Mush Flip Flops in Palm Trees Pink and Gardenia Lime are among many designs to wear this summer. Photo courtesy of teva.com.

As summer rolls in and teens start breaking out the fancy foot wear, the malls fill with teenagers in search of a new sandals and flip-flops. Here are your five best bets for summer style:

1. Old Navy

The popular store, conveniently located at  nearby Montgomery Mall, offers cheap, monotone pairs of flip-flops that will withstand any beach weather, fair or foul. You can also buy multiple pairs without emptying your pockets for the sake of good summer footwear. Also, with each pair costing only $4, you can buy multiple pairs without breaking the bank. Colors range from the everyday to metallic and floral, and are in good stock.

2. Target

If you’re willing to spend a bit more on sandals, head to this shopping favorite. Target offers a wider selection of flip-flops than most chains, with choices ranging from simple tan flats to a tie-die pair festooned with hearts. These shoes, though pricier, offer long-lasting comfort and will stay in one piece the whole season.

3. Payless

For great deals and cheap prices, shoppers need look no further than Payless. The chain is currently selling a multitude of pairs for prices all under $20. Some unique designs on display include a leopard print and a rainbow pair. However, most other patterns are somewhat plain. If you’re in search of unique sandals, head elsewhere. But if you want comfortable beach shoes, Payless is a good choice.

4. Teva

For assured durability, Teva is a surefire choice. The popular sandal chain sells their product at the Nordstrom in Montgomery Mall and at the Rockville Sports Authority. With colorful designs for women and men of any foot size, Teva have been a summer go-to for years.  Prices are much higher, ranging from $25 to $70 a pair, but are worth the splurge. Previous pairs I’ve owned have lasted four summers.

5. DIY

For those who prefer to display their own designs, there are multiple options. You can buy a cheap pair from any of these chains, then head to your local arts store to purchase some fabric paint and stencils. Simply paint onto the base, and you’ve got a new way to show off your style. If you’re athletic, you can purchase college team flip-flops on Thefind.com, or reflect your team spirit with funky sports shoes from Itsherbiz.com, which run for about $19 to $25 a pair.

As sunny days and lemonade stands dominate over snow shoveling and crunchy leaves, people are ditching the hiking boots for sandals. By heading to any of the above stores, you’ll undoubtedly find a pair to last the whole summer and keep extra cash in your wallet.