LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Walter Johnson
Track and field competes against Walter Johnson and Winston Churchill
Baseball triumphs over Churchill 4–6
Girls tennis defeats Churchill; boys tennis falls
Boys volleyball falls to Northwest 3–1
Clarksburg High School junior Praneel Suvarna wins 2024-2025 SMOB election

National News Roundup: Academy Awards edition

FLOTUS Michelle Obama dominates this edition of the National News Roundup with her appearance at the Academy Awards and in the “Evolution of Mom Dancing” video with Jimmy Fallon.

“Argo,” “Life of Pi,” come away with big successes at Academy Awards

Seth MacFarlane hosted this year’s Oscars, complete with wacky moments like Kristen Stewart limping, Jennifer Lawrence falling, a rare tie and a surprise appearance from First Lady Michelle Obama. Amazing performances from Adele and the cast of “Les Miserables” as well as great acceptance speeches from stars including Ben Affleck and Quentin Tarantino made the night especially memorable. Read more here.

Controversy at Emory University over essay about 3/5 compromise

Emory University students protested Emory President James Wagner’s published column in the school magazine about the value of compromise. In the essay, Wagner cited the historic 3/5 Compromise, which counted 3/5 of the slave population in a state toward representation in the House of Representatives, as a good example political compromise. Wager later apologized. Read more here.

Jimmie Johnson wins Daytona 500, Danica Patrick makes history

After a fiery crash that sent spectators to the hospital earlier in the event, Johnson led 17 laps on the track at the Daytona International Speedway to win the Daytona 500. Earlier in the week, Danica Patrick made history when she became the first woman to win a pole position at the competitive race. Read more here.

Sequestration cuts posed to occur in the near future

While some of us in DC have been talking about these automatic spending cuts and what they mean for the country, the “Sequester” is finally on the national stage as the scheduled March 1 initiation date rapidly approaches. These cuts may appear to be another Washington political firestorm event, but watch out, because they could seriously affect those of us inside the Beltway. Read more here.

Is Michelle Obama officially the coolest first lady ever?

After President Obama’s hilarious slow-jamming of the news and Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move campaign video with Jimmy Fallon, the First Lady came back for more fun when she created a parody of the “Evolution of Dance” video. The new “Evolution of Mom Dancing” video shows off the FLOTUS’ smooth moves and solidifies what we all know already: she’s the coolest first lady we have ever seen. An appearance at bRAVE 2k14 is imminent. Read more here.