Baseball falls to BCC 7–3 in the ultimate Battle of Bethesda
Boys volleyball falls to Walter Johnson 3–1
MCPS cancels bus tracking pilot app
Whitman hosts first International Night since COVID-19 pandemic
Boys lacrosse annihilates Blake 18–1
Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

National News Roundup: Grammy Awards edition

In this edition of the National News Roundup, “Nemo” strikes the Northeast, prompting numerous jokes related to the Pixar film, and the US Postal Service announces a major change in its mail delivery schedule.

Mumford and Sons, Gotye, win big at Grammy Awards

British folk-rock group Mumford and Sons’ “Babel” won Album of the Year and Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know” won Record of the Year. The night also included performances from Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake and Bruno Mars. Read more here.

Pope will resign at the end of the month

Pope Benedict XVI announced that he will resign Feb. 28, becoming the first pontiff to do so in 600 years. Many speculate that health was a determining factor in the 85-year-old pope’s decision. Read more here.

Blizzard hits Northeast, region comes to standstill

The winter storm, dubbed “Nemo” by weather officials, struck the country’s most populous region and caused widespread power outages in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and New York. Cities worked to clean streets and restore services after the record-breaking snow ended. Read more here.

Funeral held for Chicago teenager, inauguration performer

Hadiya Pendleton, 15, was killed last month in Chicago’s South Side, in what appears to be an accidental case of gang-related gun-violence. Pendleton traveled to Washington D.C. in January to perform in the inauguration parade. Numerous local and national dignitaries, including First Lady Michelle Obama, attended her funeral. Read more here.

No post on Saturdays: US Postal Service announces cuts

The move is expected to save the struggling agency $2 billion and comes at a time when there is a dramatic decrease in the volume of mail due to the rise of the Internet and email. The delivery of packages, whose volume has actually increased over the past few years, will continue on Saturdays. Read more here.