MCPS cancels bus tracking pilot app
Whitman hosts first International Night since COVID-19 pandemic
Boys lacrosse annihilates Blake 18–1
Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Viking Vogue: Holiday accessories

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Hot cocoa, jingle bells, secret Santa— the list goes on and on.

Perhaps the only panic that comes at this time of year is how, when and where to wear those cute but embarrassing reindeer earrings, or infamous ugly holiday sweaters. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Here’s a guide to help you rock those flashing Christmas light necklaces.

Rule #1: This is a general disclaimer and should be common knowledge–but for those of you who astonishingly missed out on this social cue, you can ONLY wear holiday paraphernalia in December!

Rule #2: Now that we have that out of the way, we can get to the nitty gritty. Out of the month of December, it’s safe to say that the 20th to 25th are the most accepted days for wearing these embellishments in public. This means to the grocery store, around the house, to CVS or anywhere. If you get any weird looks, bah humbug, it’s within 5 days of Christmas and you’re just spreading the spirit! But, don’t be surprised if you whip out the elf hat December 12 and get a few weird looks, it might be a little outside the general public’s comfort zone.

Rule #3: Holiday parties are an exception to the 5 day time bracket, as they are intended for spirited cheer. Don’t worry, we’ve all been stuck in front of our mirrors, already running late, deciding the fate of our night: to wear or not wear the Santa hat. Go for it!

The plus side to holiday accessories is that most of them are easily removable, and can be put in a car, closet or pocket if they seem out of place. More likely than not, though, you’ll get props for having the confidence to wear your merriment on your sleeve.

Rule #4: For those of us who are particularly sly and live life on the edge, it’s possible to sneak in a cute pair of snowmen studs or a snowflake necklace at school. It’s all about making it blend in with the rest of your outfit and not overdoing it. You’ll probably get a few compliments like “oh I didn’t realize those were snowmen, they’re adorable!” People will absolutely be impressed with your ability to incorporate holiday cheer into your everyday look.

These are some general guidelines to help you sort through the bracelets and pins you got as a gag gift a few years ago. There’s no reason they should sit on the top shelf of your closet year in and year out; this is one of the only times of year where it’s acceptable to celebrate with the way you dress. If you follow these rules, every little accessory is sure to get some use and you’ll pull them off in an impressively stylish manner.