LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 instate quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

Fifa 2010 videogame great for all sports fans

The new Fifa has better-than-ever graphics with an improved game interface. Photo courtesy of EA Sports.I may not be a soccer fanatic, but that is a big part of why I recommend FIFA 10, now available on nearly all video gaming platforms. Little to no knowledge of soccer is required to enjoy the game. It’s great to play against friends but has many entertaining single-player modes as well. The game deserves a nine out of ten and is a must-have for anyone who fancies themselves a sports gamer.

While not a huge leap from last year’s already enjoyable version, the game does have some key differences that make it the best game in the series.

One cool new addition to the game is the Virtual Pro mode, which allows gamers to create and customize footballers to use in all game modes, including online and in exhibition matches. Gamers can now make players that look more like themselves and even control their player as they progress from scrub to superstar. In matches, users control their player, whether he has the ball or not, creating a unique gaming experience.

But in the end, playing matches with your friends is really what this game is all about. The in-game experience in FIFA 10 is by far the best of any game in the series. Gamers now have more fluid control over their players and more precision with shots and passes, making for more realistic, less formulaic game play. Defensive play is also more realistic, as players now truly fight for position on balls and headers. Penalty kicks remain intense, as the controller rumbles during key chances that could potentially win or lose the game. The graphics are similar to those of last year’s version, and players still look incredibly real.

As usual, the game’s depth is incredible, with tons of game modes, leagues and teams at the user’s disposal. Each team has multiple uniforms and new stadiums are now playable, with some other uniforms and accessories available to buy in the FIFA store. Rosters can also be updated to match real-life transfers and signings. And, just for fun, instead of loading screens, players can shoot around and test out moves on an empty field with whichever player they choose.

Online play has improved as games load within seconds. Tournaments are also available, and you can gain or lose points depending on your performances in ranked matches.

The game’s flaws are few and largely insignificant. Corner kicks are still too difficult to score on, and users lack the ability to truly control their goalie beyond simply charging the attacker on a fast break. In fact, goalie play as a whole is a little weak, with some goalies having unrealistically slow reaction times to leisurely shots. But when immersed in a virtual stadium filled with thousands of virtual screaming fans, the problems are easily forgotten.

FIFA 10 has nearly every quality one could ask for in a soccer game. Every year, the game play gets better and better, but, besides a few minor fixes, the 2011 game does not have much it can improve on. I give this game a nine out of ten and an ¡Ole! to go with it.