Students raise awareness about Joseph Kony through social media, Invisible Children club to ‘Cover the Night’

If you’ve checked Facebook in the last 24 hours, it’s almost impossible to miss the “Kony2012” campaign video.

Created by the charity Invisible Children, the video’s purpose is to make Joseph Kony, the leader of the Lord’s Resistance Army, “famous” for his crimes against children.

Many students showed their support by watching the video and then sharing it via Facebook or Twitter. Currently, there are over 15 million views of the video on YouTube and Vimeo combined, and “#StopKony” has also been trending worldwide on Twitter since yesterday.

“Kony2012” explains Kony’s war crimes for abducting children and turning them into child soldiers and sex slaves, as well as the LRA’s involvement with the on-going military conflict in several African countries. The video is a call to action and specifically tells viewers how to get involved in the campaign and help put an end to the abuse.

Whitman’s Invisible Children club plans to take part in the campaign’s Cover the Night Event April 20, said club co-presidents and sophomores Jamey Harman and Natalie Andrasko. Participants plan to spend the night covering their local neighborhoods with Kony 2012 posters and fliers, with the hope that their efforts will create as much attention as possible.

Andrasko said she thought the video was useful in raising awareness about Invisible Children and its cause.

“The video was really effective in getting the message out,” Andrasko said. “So many more people know about what’s going on than ever before.”

The power of social media in the campaign gives it strength, junior Nick Rosenberg said.

“I thought it was really well made, and the idea behind it is a great idea,” Rosenberg said. “It’s an amazing cause, and the way they are going about it is very interesting, even ground-breaking.”