Students band together to fight cancer

With guitars, drumsticks and microphones in their arsenal, these mercenaries of modern rock are preparing for the fight of their lives in the name of a worthy cause.

The second annual Battle of the Bands competition will take place Feb. 15 at 7:00 p.m.in the small gym. The event is sponsored by the SGA, and all proceeds will benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Junior Jack Jobst, lead guitarist for Lockhouse 8, performed at Battle of the Bands last year. Jobst and the rest of the band hope to repeat their win this year. Photo by Annie Russell.

Each band has a designated donation bin, and as each band plays, audience members place donations in the bins of their favorite bands. At the end of the night, the band with the most money wins.

The event raised $2,000 last year, and the goal is to do the same this year, said junior Leslie Schwed, Battle of the Bands coordinator.

The band that won last year, Lockhouse 8, is participating again this year.

Lockhouse 8 lead singer Jake Dahreddine said the charity focus of the competition makes it relaxing and fun to play in. He hopes the band can have another strong performance this year.

With regard to potential competition, lead guitarist Jack Jobst remains humble despite last year’s success.

“You never know who’s going to win when you enter a musical competition at Whitman because there are so many talented people and it’s really anyone’s game,” Jobst said

Sophomore Carson Lystad, who competed in last year’s Battle of the Bands, is in charge of the musical aspects of the event, such as judging auditions, setting up equipment and running sound during the show.

“I thought it would be interesting and fun to take a break from playing and have some control over a performance,” Lystad said.

He hopes this year’s show will have better lighting and sound equipment to give it the vibe of a real concert.

Junior Ben James plays the drums for the Alligator Haters alongside sophomores Calvin Schalch, Nathaniel Sherman, and Jason Frankel. As of now, they only play Red Hot Chili Peppers covers. Last year, James performed with a different band but thinks his new band could make a good run this year.

“I think if we really show up and give it our all, we have a good chance,” James said. “I heard Lockhouse 8 may be trying out again, and they are the defending champs, so we’re definitely looking out for them. Competition’s fierce.”

But James said that in the end, the event is about more than just music.

“It makes it all worthwhile to play for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society,” James said. “Even if you lose, it‘s gratifying to just know you’re still helping a worthy cause.”