Alums form Dale and the ZDubs, release EP

Since alumni band Dale and the ZDubs formed over this past fall, it’s brought some serious funk to Bethesda.

In the past few months, Dale and the ZDubs has performed at Bethesda restaurants like Wing Hub, Ri Ra and Parker’s. The acoustic rock band released its self-titled debut EP at the Barking Dog in College Park Feb. 4.

“It’s rewarding to have a final product to give supporters and fresh ears,” said Eric Abrams (‘06), hermonica player and vocalist. “The EP has five songs on it that are all very different, which is the same way we play our shows. We have a taste of rock, alternative, reggae, and hip hop.”

Bassist Justin Masters ('06) plays at the Bethesda Wing Hub Dec. 16. Masters is part of the alumni band Dale and the Zubs, which released its debut EP Feb. 4. Photo courtesy Dale and the Zdubs.

Vocalist and guitarist Dale Rodman (’06) brought the band together over the summer when he contacted his former classmates, guitarist Zach Simon-Alexander (‘04) and bassist Will Maroni (‘06). With the addition of guitarist and bassist Justin Masters (’06), drummer Alex Baron (’06), and Abrams, Dale and the ZDubs was on its way to success.

Most of the band members were friendly or acquaintances in high school. Most of the band members were involved in music and choral programs at Whitman.

“I love those guys and I think it’s great they still keep in touch and all play music together,” instrumental music teacher Terry Alvey said.

As the musicians came together and formed the band, their common past proved an advantage.

“The first time we all played together everyone seemed super comfortable, and it just worked,” Abrams said.

When the ZDubs started recording their songs for the EP, they gladly adjusted from their original acoustic trio to a full band.

“We wrote the parts to the songs as we went along because originally they were just acoustic songs,” Rodman said. “We wanted to make the EP more than an acoustic project.”

All the band members have full-time or part-time jobs, which make for some complicated logistics.

“Practice times are tight, and show times are even tighter,” Rodman said. “It’s just a matter of lifting the project off the ground so we can all play music full-time.”

Dale and the ZDubs’ shows have been widely attended by other Whitman alums and community members.

Rodman describes the band’s sound as an aggressive fusion of rock and reggae. Its acoustic feel-good music incorporates vocals from every member of the band to enhance its sound.

“Every single person in our band is a very capable singer,” Rodman said. “We’re trying to pull together on these harmonies and on these choruses. It keeps it dynamic, it keeps it changing, and it’s so much damn fun.”

The band likes to experiment with its music in order to try out new songs and sounds.

“We’ll try different things, and whatever we as a group think sounds the best we’ll go with,” Rodman said. “The songs are always evolving and they won’t always sound like they do on the EP as they will sound live.”

Dale and the ZDubs’ next performance will be at the Bayou in Washington, D.C., Feb. 24.