Brittany Norwood sentenced to life in prison without parole

Brittany Norwood was sentenced to life in prison without parole Jan. 27 for the March 2010 murder of her Lululemon Athletica Bethesda coworker Jayna Murray.

Norwood was found guilty of first-degree murder Nov. 2 at the Montgomery County Circuit Court in Rockville after the defense failed to convince the jury that Norwood didn’t plan to kill Murray.

Norwood allegedly stabbed Murray more than 330 times and then altered the crime scene to cast herself and Murray as the victims of an attack by two masked men, according to court proceedings.

Norwood apologized to the Murrays during her statement in the courtroom, according to the Bethesda Patch.

“I hope for the Murray family, someday you’ll be able to find forgiveness in your heart,” she said. “I am truly sorry.”

But Norwood received little sympathy from those assembled. Circuit Court Judge Robert Greenberg called Norwood “deeply troubled” during the sentencing, citing the brutality of the murder and Norwood’s attempts to disguise her actions, according to the Washington Post.

“The sentence given by Judge Greenberg today was fair, it was just, it was appropriate,” said Montgomery County State’s Attorney John McCarthy at a press conference.

Norwood’s attorney, Whitman parent Douglas Wood, said in a press conference that he will appeal the sentence.

Phyllis Murray, Jayna’s mother, said she approved of Norwood’s sentence in a statement after the proceedings.

“I want there never to be another victim – not only from Brittany Norwood, but from anywhere,” she said. “The pain that Jayna endured – the pain that her family, her friends endured – the ripples are enormous. And we want to turn this evil act into good. With Brittany being not allowed to walk on the streets, that is one person that as a society we don’t have to worry about.”