MCPS cancels bus tracking pilot app
Whitman hosts first International Night since COVID-19 pandemic
Boys lacrosse annihilates Blake 18–1
Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Parking lot by Barnes & Noble to close in January for over two years

Anyone who has driven to Bethesda Row on a Friday night can tell you that finding a parking spot is often an arduous task.  Soon, it will become even more difficult.  

The parking lot at the intersection of Woodmont and Bethesda Avenues, across from Barnes & Noble, will close in January for the construction of high-rise buildings to accomodate more stores and condominiums and an underground parking lot. The new lot, which is expected to open in the summer of 2014, will include about 900 public parking spaces.  

A section of Woodmont Avenue between Bethesda and Miller Avenues will also close shortly after construction begins in January.  The street will be narrowed and shifted slightly before reopening in September 2013.

The county’s division of parking management hired developers StonebridgeCarras and PN Hoffman in 2005 to construct the parking lot and the buildings.

“We pursued this opportunity because it represents one of the best development sites in the greater Washington area,” said StonebridgeCarras principal Doug Firstenberg.  “Also, it provides the opportunity to develop a great mixed-use project that will enhance an already great area.”

But some local businesses are worried that the temporary closure of the existing lot’s 300 spaces will decrease sales. 

“It’s very bad planning,” said a Barnes & Noble employee, who chose to remain anonymous.  “I don’t see how it can’t hurt businesses on this Row.  Just as an employee, I’m not looking forward to finding a place to park.”

But junior Helena Wade, who works at Georgetown Cupcake, said she doesn’t think the store will see less business as a result of the parking lot construction.

“There’s the four-story parking garage right across the street, and also we have parking behind us that has access to the store,” Wade said.  “I don’t think Georgetown Cupcake will be affected at all.”