With ‘Closed Captions,’ senior Parris wins county film festival

Senior Danny Parris won awards for his documentary “Cool and Composed” and his comedy “Closed Captions” at the 2011 Montgomery County Student Film Festival March 31. Documentarian Karen Whitehead and CW film critic Willie Waffle judged the competition.

“I thought his structure and editing were fantastic and he had good ideas and a creative visual impact,” Whitehead said. “For ‘Cool and Composed’ I could see many audience members reacting to the film and connecting to the work, which is always a goal.”

Parris submitted films to the festival: “Cool and Composed,” “Scripted” and “Closed Captions.” In addition to winning best comedy, “Closed Captions” won Overall Best Film. Parris won two year-round passes to AMC Cinema, a $50 gift certificate to Motophoto and a $500 cash prize.

Last year, Parris won the Burke High School Film Festival for “Cool and Composed” and “Rejected.” He also submitted films to the After Hours Film Society Festival in Illinois last year.

“It’s a great experience, it lets me know that I’m doing something right,” Parris said. “I gives me the confidence I need to keep pursuing a career in film.”