‘The Illusionist’ is melancholy, but poignant

With its nostalgic music, animation and storyline, director Sylvain Chomet’s “The Illusionist,” released Feb. 4, tugs at the audience’s heartstrings and reminds film goers of all ages that magic exists.

"The Illusionist" first opened in France June 10, 2010. Photo courtesy stephenapplebaum.blogspot.com.

The film, set in 1959, follows a magician, the “illusionist,” who is forced to perform in seedy night clubs because of society’s growing disinterest in magic shows.  He must travel to England and Scotland to find work, where he meets Alice, a young girl who still believes in magic. She becomes his companion and travels with him to his shows, exposing herself to the world outside her small Scottish village.

While the animated movie has minimal dialogue, it sends a poignant, heartfelt and sad message. It’s a good idea to bring tissues to the film.

But the film isn’t entirely void of lighthearted fare.  Through younger Alice’s eyes, characters like the ventriloquist, the acrobats and the illusionist’s mischievous rabbit seem magical.  The movie also hilariously parodies the British invasion bands that are pushing traditional entertainers out of business.  But as Alice grows up and the illusionist’s financial woes mount, these situations become less frequent and the film grows somber.

The film’s best part is its simplicity. The animation style allows the storyline to talk, not the special effects. The movie focuses on connections among the characters, rather than the animation technology, which makes the film shine.

With the Oscars this Sunday, film goers interested in seeing a great film that’s nominated for Best Animated Feature should check out “The Illusionist.”