LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Senior Max Light: bands, gigs and all that jazz

Surrounded by posters of jazz legends, senior Max Light and the other members of his jazz trio, senior Sahil Ansari and Einstein senior Milo Johnson, cram into the tiny performance space at Twins Jazz on D.C.’s U Street. Bending over his guitar, Light and his band play a jazz standard, “Byrdlike,” to the diverse crowd of Whitman students, alumni and jazz enthusiasts.

“Playing at Twins was really fun — we lost ourselves in the music,” Light said. “It was a really comfortable environment and we’re very happy that friends came out and supported us.”

This was Light’s first time playing in a jazz club setting. He got the gig through Aaron Seeber (’10), who plays at Twins Jazz regularly. After playing with Seeber at one of his performances, Light was introduced to the owner of the club.

While this is their first time playing a jazz club, the trio has a weekly Sunday evening gig at The Daily Dish, a restaurant in Silver Spring. Owner Jerry Hollinger discovered the band through bassist Milo Johnson, and was quick to offer them a regular gig.

“We had a couple of trial Sunday evenings,” Hollinger said. “Generally people like background jazz music while they are eating. They play very well as a group.”

Over the last few years, Light has performed  at private events all over Maryland and D.C., playing venues from the Museum of Crime and Punishment to the Hilton on Capitol Hill.

Light began playing music at age six , when his parents started him on piano lessons. He began playing guitar four years ago and jazz guitar two years ago, and he now plays in Whitman’s jazz band.

“I was a naïve freshman musically,” he said. “Playing matured with me.”

While Light has played in various student rock bands, he’s now more focused on his jazz endeavors. Band director Terry Alvey says she’s noticed Light’s growing maturity as a person, and its correlation to his maturity as a musician. She said Light not only has the dedication and the commitment, but a natural musical ear.

“He’s like a sponge,” she said. “There is no question he’s a jazz musician. He eats, sleeps and breathes it. I can tell he’s learned a lot about the craft. He’s going to be great in whatever he does.”

Light plans to attend a music conservatory next year, and has sent applications to both SUNY Purchase and Manhattan School of Music. For the application, he submitted a recording of himself playing with the trio, since Light believes that they’re the closest musically.

He said he hopes to pursue a career in music.

“I definitely can’t see myself doing anything else.”