The “not milk” generation: How Gen Z prompted milk’s rebrand
A piece of our history: A look into the Montgomery Farm Women’s Co-operative Market
LIVE: Baseball takes on Richard Montgomery in home opener
Coach Manon achieves 200 wins and state championship in a thrilling wrestling season
Overtime Elite: A new wave of professional basketball
Proposed bill will guarantee top 10% of Maryland students to 12 Maryland universities

March 21, 2024

Shakespeare club cancels production of ‘Romeo and Juliet’

The Shakespeare club’s production of “Romeo and Juliet” will no longer take place, as the show’s director, senior Lucas Kornexl, decided to cancel the production after a series of incidents with the cast.

The show was initially scheduled to run Dec. 9 – 11, but Kornexl rescheduled it for Feb. 3 – 5 when senior Luis Alvarado and sophomore Fox Williams, cast as Romeo and Friar Lawrence, quit the production.  The directors of a later Shakespeare club production, “Twelfth Night,” also asked Kornexl to move his show a week earlier to accommodate their play.

Between the tight schedule, scheduling conflicts with the cast and actors dropping out because of spring play commitments Kornexl chose to cancel the show entirely.

“New actors had to drop out relating to ‘Anne Frank,’ and it would also be the week after exams, making it hard for everybody,” Kornexl said.  “Many people weren’t showing up to rehearsals in the first place, especially because they weren’t expecting the show to be postponed.”

Cast member Pablo Ramirez, a sophomore, said he could understand the cancellation, but expected the show to merely be postponed.

“With all of the stuff that happened, I just thought that there was something that was going to happen,” he said.  “I guess it was just a matter of time.”

Before the cancellation, Kornexl cast seniors John An and Jacob Trauberman as replacements for Romeo and Friar Lawrence.

“Conflicts were showing up all the time,” Kornexl said.  “I can be the best director in the world but I cannot do something without actors.”