Administrators to hold drug and alcohol assemblies, will separate genders

Administrators are planning a series of in-school assemblies for Jan. 5 to address underage drinking and drug use.

A number of disturbing incidents have taken place already this year, ranging from students getting alcohol poisoning to girls performing public sexual acts for boys while intoxicated, principal Alan Goodwin said.

“Students need to be aware of the often unintended but very serious consequences of having drugs or excessive alcohol,” Goodwin said.

Four assemblies that address alcohol and drugs will take place: one for freshman and sophomore boys, one for freshman and sophomore girls, one for junior and senior boys and one for junior and senior girls. The assemblies will cover topics specific to those groups.

“Girls need to hear about the importance of protecting themselves, whereas boys need to know that they can’t take advantage of girls,” Goodwin said.

Cheryl Banks, a psychologist with theVictim Assistance and Sexual Assault Program in MCPS, will talk to students at the assemblies about making informed decisions.

“At the end of the day, people are going to do what they want to,” Banks said. “But they need to know the risks involved. If students make a bad choice now, it could completely change and ruin their future.”

The PTSA also sponsored a presentation Dec. 8 for the Whitman community to discuss drug and alcohol related issues.

Several parents who attended the event found it both engaging and informative.

“We brought our two sons in order to reinforce the lessons we have been teaching them at home,” parents Lora and Dave Bevirt said. “We thought it would be better if they heard them from a third party.”

Goodwin requested that the PTSA organize an evening event before he decided to hold in-school assemblies.

Students agree that the issues of drinking and using drugs are a harsh but very true reality.

“Younger and younger girls are getting more and more out of hand when they are drunk,” junior John Barnes said. “With the sexting scandal, and now these incidents with girls acting inappropriately, there’s definitely a trend.”

There are also consequnces for student athletes who chose to get involved with alcohol. Two senior lacrosse players caught under the influence of alcohol at the Nov. 4 home football game are facing the consquences of the Zero Tolerance policy and cannot play this spring.

“The lacrosse program has really been hurt because we lost some important players who can’t be replaced,” senior Ben Weiss said.

Pictures and comments on Facebook have been fueling the drama that surrounds parties with alcohol, sophomore Evan Cernea said.

“Many people post illicit pictures of themselves to get higher in the social ladder,” Cernea said. “Drinking puts you higher in the social chain. People think they have to drink to be cool, which is a really bad mentality.”

Others say that though drinking is a problem, an assembly is not the right way to respond to the situation.

“We’ve seen all the presentations before in Driver’s Ed, health and other assemblies,” sophomore Jacob Rosenblum said. “They can’t expect a different result. Administrators need to find a different strategy besides just lecturing us.”

Students also argue that the administration should not become too involved with issues that occur outside of school.

“The choices students make during weekends are their own choices,” a senior boy said.

But administrators say that it’s their responsibility to help students in both their academic and personal lives.

“It would be easy for me to ignore this kind of issue, but I feel like I have a moral and social responsibility to ensure that students are safe,” Goodwin said. “I’ve been to student funerals, and it’s really sad.”