MCPS cancels bus tracking pilot app
Whitman hosts first International Night since COVID-19 pandemic
Boys lacrosse annihilates Blake 18–1
Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Police arrest two students with stun gun after Code Blue

Police arrested two 14-year-old students who were in possession of a stun gun during the first part of the school day.

Principal Alan Goodwin called a Code Blue at 9:15 a.m. today after a student reported seeing another student on their bus with a stun gun. Administrators, security and two police officers questioned students and later confiscated the weapon, which the students never used, Goodwin said.

About an hour later, police led two students in handcuffs out of school.

Administrators initially sent a message to staff on teacher list serv, Whitman Private, with a description of the student who they believed had the stun gun. After he was extracted from his second-period class, without the device, administrators located a second student who was in possession of the weapon.

Police took both students to the Bethesda Police Department, where they were released to their parents.

Goodwin distributed a letter to students about the incident seventh period.

“Everyone was wondering what was going on,” said junior Colin Brown, who was in class with one of the students who was removed by security. “It was a commotion.”

Students proceeded to fourth period during the Code Blue, which continued until 9:55 a.m., when administrators were in possession of the weapon.

After learning one student wasn’t in possession of the weapon, administrators questioned class- and bus-mates of the suspect.

Both students will receive the strongest punishment a principal can administer, Goodwin said.

“There was just a lot of staring,” Goodwin said. “They knew we were serious and they were probably glad they weren’t the ones being extracted.”

Goodwin said the stun gun was a particularly powerful one which the student showed off to his peers on the bus.

“The good things to come of this are that some students reported what they thought was a dangerous situation,” Goodwin said. “We have to rely on students when things are potentially dangerous. That was helpful and refreshing.”

Priya Kumar also contributed to this report.