Boys lacrosse dominates Poolesville 18–3
Softball survives Seneca Valley 9-7
Girls lacrosse crushes Poolesville 19–4
Fashion isn’t just clothes: It’s a canvas
Whitman administrators announce new quarter 4 testing schedule
The power of interior design in schools

The power of interior design in schools

Operation Safe Driver educates local drivers

Buzzy France of the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance was one of many speakers at the event. Photo by Sara Allen.

Speakers from the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and other driving organizations joined together at Whitman yesterday to help kick off Operation Safe Driver, a national campaign that educates the public about the importance of making smart decisions on the road.

Operation Safe Driver is an educational program supported by various government agencies, law enforcement and industries.  The campaign is part of these organizations ongoing efforts to raise awareness through speaking engagements about avoiding collisions on the roads, particularly those collisions that involve commercial vehicles. During the campaign, police will also closely monitor the driving behaviors around commercial vehicles.  It runs from Oct. 18 to 24.

Buzzy France of the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance was the first of 10 speakers from various organizations, including the Governors Highway Safety Association and National Highway Traffic Administration, to speak at the event.  He pointed out that speed if often a major factor in collisions that occur on the road.

“We ask that the public take note of driving behavior,” France said.  “Educate yourself and others on the danger of aggressive driving. Your vehicle can become a weapon, if you drive aggressively.”

Rose McMurray of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration also spoke at the event.  She pointed out that though the number of accidents involving large commercial vehicles has declined over the years, an average of 100 people a day are still killed on U.S roads.  McMurray said that modifying certain bad habits, such as talking on the phone or searching for CD’s while driving, will likely lessen the number of deaths.

Brain McLaughlin, speaking on behalf of the National Highway Traffic Administration, noted that supporting Operation Safe Driver is a step in the right direction for government agencies.

“There should be no higher priority for the government than saving human lives,” he said.