Clarksburg High School junior Praneel Suvarna wins 2024-2025 SMOB election
Baseball falls to Walter Johnson 6–0: losing undefeated season
Boys lacrosse dominates Poolesville 18–3
Softball survives Seneca Valley 9-7
Girls lacrosse crushes Poolesville 19–4
Fashion isn’t just clothes: It’s a canvas

Harry Potter premiere costumes that’ll have everyone spellbound

He already has his outfit planned: slicked-back blonde hair, a Slytherin uniform and a hand-drawn Dark Mark on his arm. The only thing he’s waiting for is midnight Nov. 18. This is when senior Jean-Luc Simon, dressed up as Draco Malfoy, will join millions of Pottermaniacs around the country for “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1.”

Many Harry Potter enthusiasts, such as Jean-Luc Simon, will stay up until midnight this Thursday to see "Part 1" of the series' movie finale. Photo courtesy digitaltrends.com.

Want to join in on the craze? Here are some tips to make the premiere truly magical.

Dress up like the boy-who-lived. Wearing a Harry Potter costume seems simple enough, but generic glasses and a lightning-bolt scar on your forehead are cliché. Those who wish to add a unique touch to this costume, look no further than muggle-accessible Alivan’s, an online Diagon Alley where you can order handcrafted wizardry devices like Harry’s signature 11-inch holly wand with a phoenix feather. Or how about decking out in full Quidditch garb? Don’t forget the snitch!

Recreate bushy-haired Hermione Granger: How can you stand out in a crowd of Hermiones in maroon and gold scarves? Simple. Grab any old book bag in the closet, fill it with book-shaped cardboard boxes and paint on titles like “Divination” and “Arithmancy.” Then create a silver pin that reads “S.P.E.W.,” the house-elf organization that Hermione created in the fourth book. For the extremely loyal, a stuffed “Crookshanks” could complete the look.

Embody Draco Malfoy, the sinister sneak: Besides the slicked-back white hair, green and silver Slytherin robes, and typical sneer, there’s not much to characterize a Draco Malfoy costume. But, like Simon, draw the dark mark on your arm and wear an “Inquisition Squad” pin to represent the enforcers of Hogwarts during Dolores Umbridge’s reign in the fifth book. If you’ve got a ferret costume lying around for some reason, hey, go crazy.

Survive the Harry hangover at school the next day: Come to school the next day, without changing out of your costume. Surviving on just a couple hours of sleep will be a challenge, but remember, you won’t be the only one. The movie hype won’t end from 3 a.m to 7:25 a.m. In fact, it’ll probably double and you definitely don’t want to miss discussing the movie.