The “not milk” generation: How Gen Z prompted milk’s rebrand
A piece of our history: A look into the Montgomery Farm Women’s Co-operative Market
LIVE: Baseball takes on Richard Montgomery in home opener
Coach Manon achieves 200 wins and state championship in a thrilling wrestling season
Overtime Elite: A new wave of professional basketball
Proposed bill will guarantee top 10% of Maryland students to 12 Maryland universities

March 21, 2024

Plans start for the beautification of the Capital Crescent trail

Photo courtesy of cctrail.org.
The Capital Crescent Trail winds through the Bethesda neighborhood, allowing bikers, walkers and runners a path to enjoy. Photo courtesy of cctrail.org.

The Coalition for the Capital Crescent Trail, a volunteer organization that works to improve and maintain the popular landmark, hopes to add an extensive plaza area next to the intersection of the trail and River Road.

Though only additional trees and grass will be added to the northeast plaza area adjacent to the trail, the west side of the plaza area will see much more drastic changes.

“We are going to totally transform it,” coalition chair Peter Gray said.

This transformation will be extensive, and include concrete seating walls, bike racks, turtle sculptures, cherry trees, a kiosk and a water fountain.

Currently, the area surrounding the trail at the River Road intersection is fairly industrial and surrounded by a car dealership and parking lot.  Gray said he hopes that the plaza will help make the area more aesthetically pleasing.

“We are going to transform the area to make it more park-like,” Gray said. “Plants, structures and seating amenities will make it a much nicer place.”

Though the Department of Parks and Recreation already approved the plan, the coalition is not yet cleared to begin construction. Because the land that will be used for the Plaza is owned by the county, state executives will need to first approve it.  Montgomery County Legislative Information Officer Neil Greenberger said that the state is not sure if they are prepared to approve a project of this size and cost, which will likely take five to 10 years to build.

Though the construction is expected to cost $145,000, Gray said the coalition is not expecting to have difficulty paying for the plaza.  In addition to donations from the coalition, the Washington Episcopal school will contribute money to the project. Local merchants and neighborhood associations in the area also expressed interest in contributing, after seeing basic drafts of the plan.

“Funding is not going to be a problem because there are a lot of people who love the trail and want to support it in a positive way,” Gray said.