Clarksburg High School junior Praneel Suvarna wins 2024-2025 SMOB election
Baseball falls to Walter Johnson 6–0: losing undefeated season
Boys lacrosse dominates Poolesville 18–3
Softball survives Seneca Valley 9-7
Girls lacrosse crushes Poolesville 19–4
Fashion isn’t just clothes: It’s a canvas

Free calls through the new iPod touch?

Since when do iPods redefine communication? Rumors abound about a new iPod touch that, like the recently released 5th generation iPod nano, will feature a camera and microphone.

Keeping this in mind, let’s discuss Skype technology. With Skype installed on your computer, you can make calls with a webcam to any other Skype user for free via the Internet.

If everyone bought a new iPod touch with the new features and made a Skype account, home phone lines could soon become obsolete. Buying an iPod is a one-time service, whereas you have to pay for home phone service monthly.  Though the elimination of home phones isn’t going to happen soon, free phone service will definitely have a wide appeal. Besides, the iPod touch is a pretty cool gadget anyways, even without the camera and microphone.

Apple, always the busy bee, also seeks to redefine the print industry by releasing its own reading tablet to match Amazon’s Kindle. Here’s an idea of what it would look like below:

Click here to see the Apple reading tablet.

Basically the tablet would look like a larger iPod touch. Though it remains to be seen if Amazon’s Kindle will ever revolutionize the print industry, a little competition from the vaunted Apple will provide more options to readers.

Although Microsoft seems to be on the sidelines quite a bit nowadays with the failure of both Vista and it’s MP3 player, Zune, the much hyped-about Windows 7 is slated to come out Oct. 22, and Microsoft recently released the new Zune HD. The Zune HD is unlikely to be a big deal, especially in light the new improved iPod Touch, but Microsoft could definitely make some noise with Windows 7.