Nationals Could Be Successful In Near Future

*By Ben Freeman*

Here’s a quick question: Which MLB team ended the regular season with baseball’s biggest ongoing winning streak? Here’s a hint: the team had two players in the top 10 in the National League for RBIs, the best pitching prospect in the country and two 30+ home run hitters.

Need more help? The team also had the worst record in baseball, and the worst batting average and ERA in the National League.

Yep, the Washington Nationals ended the season on a seven game winning streak, becoming the first team to do so after an 0-7 start.

Bryce Harper, the projected first pick of next years draft, was deemed the "Chosen One" by Sports Illustrated. (Photo Courtesy of sportsillustrated.com)

Though the year didn’t go well, the offense showed glimmers of hope throughout the season. First baseman Adam Dunn (38 HRs, 105 RBIs) is under contract for one more year, and Ryan Zimmerman (.292, 33 HRs, 110 runs and 106 RBI) had an all-star season. Other bright spots include Outfielders Josh Willingham (24 HRs) and Nyjer Morgan (.307, 42 steals), a prototypical leadoff hitter.

Morgan and Jesus Flores, both of whom recently returned from injury, will bolster the offense next season. Additionally, the maturation of the Nationals’ core of young players (Zimmerman, Justin Maxwell, Willie Harris, Ian Desmond and Elijah Dukes) should generate more runs and ultimately more wins.

Since the Nationals first moved to Washington in 2005, pitching and defense have been their downfall. Their 5.00 ERA is by far the worst in the NL, and the team finished with the fewest strikeouts and most walks of any staff in the majors. Washington also made more errors than any other team, again by a wide margin, leading to the worst fielding percentage in baseball.

However, fans should see improvements in these categories next year when pitcher Scott Olsen returns off of the DL and highly touted prospects Jordan Zimmermann, Ross Detwiler, Stephen Strasburg and Drew Stanton replace the reeling starting pitching staff and bullpen.

The upcoming draft is also bound to bring a bounty of new prospects to the Nationals’ farm system, most notably “Sports Illustrated” coverboy Bryce Harper, who is recognized as one of the best prospects of this era. At only 16, Harper has been compared to the high school versions of Alex Rodriguez, Ken Griffey Jr. and Justin Upton, and has been called the LeBron James of baseball.

The Nationals may not be the most talented team, but don’t be surprised if they turn from the MLB’s laughingstock into playoff contendors some time in the next few years.