The “not milk” generation: How Gen Z prompted milk’s rebrand
A piece of our history: A look into the Montgomery Farm Women’s Co-operative Market
LIVE: Baseball takes on Richard Montgomery in home opener
Coach Manon achieves 200 wins and state championship in a thrilling wrestling season
Overtime Elite: A new wave of professional basketball
Proposed bill will guarantee top 10% of Maryland students to 12 Maryland universities

March 21, 2024

DC art fairs benefit both artists and onlookers

For many local starving artists, life is full of unsteady work, low pay and poor living conditions. But organizations like D.C. Creates Public Art make these artists’ lives a little easier by showcasing their work.

The Washington Examiner hosted Arts on Foot Sept. 8-11 on 7th and F Streets in Washington, D.C. Photo by Marina Diez.

D.C. Creates Public Art, a nonprofit organization, provides available art venues and attainable grants to rising artists. Financed by the D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities, the group’s goal is to make D.C. more of a cultural destination.

Part of the organization’s mission is to promote art-related events through its website, Facebook and Twitter. The endorsed events are free of cost and for all ages.

Penn Quarter (7th and F Street in Washington, D.C.) currently houses Arts on Foot, an outdoor festival that consists of visual art, music, dance and theater.

“Anyone of any age could easily get inspired walking through the festival, just by the sheer force of the creativity on display there,” said artist Sabri Ben-Achour, who sells ceramics in a booth at Arts on Foot.

D.C. Creates Public Art also offers grants for artists and art organizations. These grants allow artists to improve their artistic skills and can be obtained in various fields, including money for arts education, festival organization and young artists programs. These grants range from $1000 to $30,000.

The organization doesn’t require any prerequisites, but encourages applicants to join general workshops offered by the company, where they learn useful information about the commission. Volunteers choose participants for an advisory panel, which makes recommendations to the Commissions Board.

Greaves feels that the vast opportunities D.C. Creates Public Art offers will spark younger generations’ interests and help art flourish throughout society.

“The more art there is around the world, the more it brings people together and makes for a better world,” Greaves said.