UPDATE: Body of missing Whitman student found in Bannockburn woods

Principal Alan Goodwin emailed staff today to inform them that the body of senior Navid Sepehri had been found Dec. 10. Sepehri had been reported missing the night before, friends of the Whitman student said.

An email from Goodwin reads:

“It is with sadness that I inform you of the death of Navid Sepehri, one of our 12th grade students. Initial information suggests Navid’s death may have been accidental, but we do not have details at this time. Navid’s sister, Nika, is a freshman at Whitman, as well.”

A team of psychologists, counselors, and pupil personnel workers will be at Whitman Monday to work with staff and assist students who need support.

1 Comment

One Response to “UPDATE: Body of missing Whitman student found in Bannockburn woods”

1. Lorraine Wilson on December 12th, 2017 3:34 am

I am so sorry for this loss of a student. It is very sad when a young person dies for whatever reason.

This might not be the time or place, but in looking at the article, I was made aware for the first time of racial slurs at this High School in the recent past. As a former Teacher, I am well aware of these types of of occurrences. It made me angry that the outrage was not stronger in the community and in the school. I hate to bring up a sore subject at a time like this, but I feel that the response was very lame considering the seriousness of the subject. I also know that students often reflect what they learn at home, in their community, and in the “leaders” at the school. Just food for thought, but please take a moment to reflect on your own bias and realize that people who are affected by others’ hateful comments spend their whole life trying to heal and deal with the consequences of these hateful actions. Please take these things more seriously in the future.