Weekly News Roundup: Sept. 25-29

Graphic by Charlotte Alden.

Graphic by Charlotte Alden.

Graphic by Charlotte Alden.

By Julie Rosenstein

9 total views, 2 views today

• Saudi Arabia announced Tuesday that women will now be allowed to drive cars. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-women-drive.html
  • Some NFL teams and players stirred up controversy by kneeling during the national anthem to protest racism. Here’s who kneeled: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/sports/who-kneeled-nfl/?hpid=hp_no-name_graphic-story-b%3Ahomepage%2Fstory
  • Principal Alan Goodwin sent an email via Whitnet to parents about recent incidents of derogatory name calling. Administration visited English classes this past week to advise students not to use the language and report any incidents.
  • MCPS Chief Technology Officer Pete Cevenini sent an email to MCPS apologizing for connectivity issues that have disrupted Montgomery County Schools. Cevenini wrote, “We believe the issue is the result of an attack on our network.”
  • Homecoming is Saturday, Oct. 14. The Homecoming theme for this year is Magic Kingdom; freshman are Finding Nemo, sophomores are Up, juniors are Monsters Inc., and seniors are The Lion King. Be sure to pick up your homecoming and Battle of the Classes tee shirts before they sell out!
  • Calling all country fans! Thomas Rhett will be performing at WMZQ Fall Fest on Saturday Oct. 7 and Cole Swindell will be at the Fillmore Thursday Oct. 12. Get your tickets soon!