September 5: Girls tennis serves up BCC in home opener

Freshman+Sasha+McLeod+hits+the+ball+to+her+opponent.+The+girls+tennis+team+swept+the+B-CC+Barons+in+their+season+opener.+Photo+by+Olivia+Matthews.+
Freshman Sasha McLeod hits the ball to her opponent. The girls tennis team swept the B-CC Barons in their season opener. Photo by Olivia Matthews.

By Jessie Solomon

54 total views, 5 views today

The girls tennis team (1‒0) started off their season with a bang Tuesday, sweeping crosstown rival BCC Barons 7‒0.

With impressive plays in each match, some players stood out, including singles player Sasha McLeod, a freshman on the team, who won her first set 7‒5 and her second set 6‒2.

Throughout the preseason, coach Jasen Gohn organized practices around preparing for the actual match atmosphere.

“We’ve been focusing on matchplay,” Gohn said. “When the season starts, the first match is just a couple weeks away, so that’s when we have to get match tough and learn to deal with the nerves.”

Practices also involved endurance training to prepare for the hot temperatures on the court, senior Zoe Tompkins said.

The team hopes to continue the winning streak and beat tougher opponents down the road, and with doubles team Carina Greenberg and Sarina Wahl winning states last season, the Vikes expect to do well this year.

“I’m excited to see how far we get,” doubles player Hanna Freund said. “We did really well last season, and I’m excited to see our new players do well.”