Girls lacrosse stuns Springbrook 18–2
Boys tennis defeats Walter Johnson 5–2
Baseball falls to BCC 7–3 in the ultimate Battle of Bethesda
Boys volleyball falls to Walter Johnson 3–1

Ambulance fees make injuries even more painful

No one should think twice when dialing 9-1-1. But the county’s new ambulance fees will likely cause even more pain to people experiencing a medical emergency. The county shouldn’t have approved the legislation, which charges $300 to $800 for each ambulance ride. Luckily, there’s still time to repeal the law before it takes effect July 1.

When Fairfax County began to charge residents for ambulance trips in 2005, the number of 9-1-1 calls dropped by 9 percent, compared to an annual average drop of only 2.4 percent that occured for two years prior to the policy enactment, according to a recent study by the Montgomery County Volunteer Fire-Rescue Association. If Montgomery County enacts the ambulance fees, many patients may hesitate to call for emergency vehicles, preventing them from recieving necessary care.

Patients often pay hundreds, or even thousands of dollars for hospital treatment alone. Requesting an additional ambulance fee would place an unfair burden on patients, essentially punishing them for needing emergency care.

Most ambulances are driven by volunteers, who work for free in order to help protect individual lives and benefit the community. But by enacting fees for these services, the county is contradicting the ethics of these volunteers, which could weaken their morale, fundraising efforts and belief in community service, according to County Councilmember Roger Berliner.