Girls lacrosse stuns Springbrook 18–2
Boys tennis defeats Walter Johnson 5–2

Boys tennis defeats Walter Johnson 5–2

New Westbard sector plan adopted despite objections

The Montgomery County Planning Department released these aerial views of what Westbard currently looks like (left) and what it may look like post-development (right). Graphic courtesy Montgomery County Planning Department.
The Montgomery County Planning Department released these aerial views of what Westbard currently looks like (left) and what it may look like post-development (right).
Graphic courtesy Montgomery County Planning Department.

It’s about to get a lot harder for students to make their daily Starbucks run.

On May 3, the Montgomery County Council approved a new Westbard Sector Plan that will likely update the current shopping center, and add more homes and stores to the area.

“This community deserves better than a run down shopping center, a big parking lot, and a trash-filled concrete culvert,” Montgomery County Councilmember Hans Riemer said. “It deserves a civic green, and a great new recreational park, and the opportunity to walk or bike to a nice restaurant or grocery store.”

When developer Equity One released its initial proposal last year, many Westbard residents objected, arguing that adding more homes and businesses would potentially overcrowd public schools and local roads. Some critics formed a group, SaveWestbard, to lobby against potential overdevelopment, eventually resulting in planners decreasing the planned number of new units.

Wood Acres Elementary School PTA President Jason Sartori, who initially expressed concern about the impact on school enrollment, is satisfied with the revised plan which details how local schools would be affected by increased development.

“They outline the impact that the Westbard Sector plan would have and the options that are available to increase capacity at the elementary school, middle school and high school level,” Sartori said.

The approved version of the plan projects that the new housing will lead to an influx of approximately 99 elementary school students, 43 middle school students and 53 high school students.

Despite these estimates and plans to cope with growing student bodies, the anticipated population growth still causes concern for local residents.

“I’m just worried about there being a lot more people in the area, which may cause disruptions,” said sophomore Reed Leventis, a Westbard resident.

Senior John Lydon is also concerned about the effects that the renovations could have on nearby neighborhoods, he said.

“The access roads to the shopping center are inadequate for handling large volumes of traffic,” Lydon said. “This will inevitably force people into the surrounding neighborhoods for ways of getting to the center.”

Student concerns are shared by other Westbard residents; the possibility of increased traffic and school enrollment are still concerns for SaveWestbard activist Patricia Kolesar.

“The Council may publish their statistics and their data; but we know the truth and we don’t hide behind ‘official’ reports,” Kolesar said.

Despite some apprehensive residents, others are enthusiastic about the adoption of the plan because it will bring a convenient retail area to the neighborhood, sophomore Madison Day said.

“It’s exciting that access to shops and an area to hang out with friends in a more convenient area could be possible,” Day said.